Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cooking with Samil!

I'm going to share with you what is carefully guarded family recipe: Samil's Brownie Recipe. Here are the ingredients:

  • 1 ounce square of unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup Flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup chopped

The cooks among you might be wondering what the hell is wrong, but, the answer is really elementary- Samil takes one serving size of all the ingredients necessary for brownies and puts them in a bowl. I mean... duh, right? (fyi, this is not his brownie recipe. I only chose brownies because that was the most immediate ludicrous cooking example I could think of to make my point...)

Last week Samil asked me how to use my blender for a smoothie. He was very concerned about screwing things up, and was very worried that his smoothie would not turn out right if he used the Mix setting instead of the potentially more appropriate Stir setting. I calmed him down by saying "just throw everything in and hit a button. they all work just fine for smoothies."

Only its not so simple! I come out to the kitchen about ten minutes later and discover massive amounts of pain and misery. The smoothie did not go well. It went so bad, he had to put WATER in it after mixing everything up. You see, to make the perfect smoothie, he decided to put one serving size of everything into it for maximum enjoyability. The flaw in this is that when you have essentially 3x the solid stuff to liquid stuff, your smoothie won't be so, er, smooth.

I think as time goes on, Samil will master the art of good smoothies. Until then, I'm hoping he avoids attempting to master the complicated art of that quesadilla making.

No comments:

Post a Comment